Psalm 68:5-6

A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling.

God sets the lonely in families, he leads forth the prisoners with singing; but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land.

I am Stepanie Nance. My family adopted two little boys with Down Syndrome from Ukraine in 2010. I hope to educate and to inspire you. I hope to make you laugh and to make you cry.

Come along for the ride. It's a wild one!

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Crazy

I was really well prepared for a negative response when we announced our adoption plans. I know other people who really had to deal with negativity at every turn. When it didn't happen to us I was really pleasantly surprised!

One day recently, I commented to a friend that I was even a tiny bit disappointed. I was prepped for the fight! Just moments later someone asked me if I was crazy! How funny! Then another person asked me if I wasn't afraid of being ripped off by the officials and facilitators in the boys' country. So, I needn't have worried. The negativity was bound to show up later if not sooner.

Let me address these objections.

  1. Am I crazy? That depends on your perspective. To the world I'm sure that I appear to be crazy. What's new, though? I already have nine children, how much crazier could I possibly be? I could have re-carpeted the whole house for what we are spending to save the lives of two children. I could have gone on a fabulous vacation or bought a sporty little car, or a bass boat, or a new big screen TV and some good quality furniture. If we had done any of those things who would have questioned us? Who would call us crazy then? No one. People are always supportive of conspicuous consumption and the things we do because we deserve to do something nice for ourselves.

    I'll tell how I'm crazy...I'm crazy in love with Jesus. And when I do good to the most pitiful, rejected, unloved children, I do it to Him. If I never have another new car, or fancy furniture, or whatever, it will have been worth it. I get the privilege of serving my God in this small way. In this way, our plans make perfect, logical sense.

  2. Am I afraid of getting ripped off? Nope. Not a bit. I'm not saying this couldn't happen; it happens all the time. But, I'm using facilitators and assistants with a proven track record. For nearly two years I've been following other adoptive parents who have used the same people. If you are considering adoption, you should do the same thing. Know who you are dealing with and see what others have to say about them. OK, that one was easy.

Do you have any questions for me? Negative (I'll still love you) or not, I welcome them and will respond to each one. If you have any encouraging words for me, I welcome them, too. Your comments mean the world to me.

6 comments:

  1. So, months and years ago, I would have probably asked if you were crazy to have 9 children...and then I got to know you, and I heard your testimony, and I learned about kids w/ DS, and I got to know your son, and my attitude has totally changed. I'm SO excited for your family and so excited to be part of your church family and so proud of you for taking on this new adventure. I can't wait to meet these boys!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! You just made me cry...in the good way! You really do bless me. See you Tues!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful and sweet story we will all have to tell! God is good, God is faithful! We dont need things just filling up landfills, things will not fill that God shaped hole in our heart! Keep running the race dear sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep up the fight. You are doing a great job! I am SO happy that you are bringing home Z! He has been on my heart since I first saw him. Soon he will have LOTS of family. What a gift to him. Can't wait to watch your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am enjoying your blog. And I really liked this entry. Saving a life--or two lives--IS way more important in the eternal view than carpet, furniture or car or whatever. Sounds like you've had some crazy days. I can so relate to the wait, wait, HURRY concept.
    Joy, RR

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very excited for you friend. I remember when we met and discovered we both had a heart for these children. I keep hoping and praying that one day it will be out turn too! I'm delighted for your family and totally get why you are going for those sweet boys!

    Blessings
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

 


  © Web Design by Poppies Blooming 2010

Back to TOP