Psalm 68:5-6

A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling.

God sets the lonely in families, he leads forth the prisoners with singing; but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land.

I am Stepanie Nance. My family adopted two little boys with Down Syndrome from Ukraine in 2010. I hope to educate and to inspire you. I hope to make you laugh and to make you cry.

Come along for the ride. It's a wild one!

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Courage

Let's think of something to blog while we are waiting. Isn't that what Mr. Rogers used to say?

Leading up to our commitment to Alec and Zhenya my husband was always concerned about how we would come up with the money to adopt. I think it was probably his biggest objection. Seriously, this whole adoption thing is just outrageously expensive. I'll admit that.

Me on the other hand; money was the last thing I was worried about. I had read enough adoption stories to see God at work and the money available when it was needed. I wasn't sure I had the courage to adopt a child into our family. That was my biggest mental hurdle leading up to our decision. I can remember an occasion where I asked myself if I really had the guts to make this commitment if money were no object. At the time I wasn't sure.

Now that decisions have been made, paperwork submitted, home study in progress the tables have turned! All of a sudden the money, or lack thereof, is starting to freak me out a bit. When you consider that Alec turns four years old in June and his orphanage generally transfers the disabled children to an asylum on or around their birthday, you can see that we need to travel very soon.

So how do you eat an elephant? How to we come up with the last big chunk of dough? One bite at a time, I guess. I was very glad that we had the money set aside to get the ball rolling without having to ask for help, but we need to start asking for some help. Do I have the courage to do that?

Psalm 27:14
Wait for the LORD;
be strong and take heart
and wait for the LORD.

3 comments:

  1. hi in your adoption fund tracker to the side, you have 20,000 as your target, is that correct? I would have thought it was more than that though that is plenty enough.
    the money will come, do you have any fundraises planned?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cathy! How are you, friend? What a wonderful job you have done advocating for Zhenya.

    Based on our projected in-country expenses we hope to need less than the 20k total. I'm sure I will know more in a few weeks when are done with all the upfront costs.

    I'm planning to sell some things on Ebay and Craigslist. I'll probably do a chip-in with a baby quilt and some Lia Sophia jewelry. Do you have any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just have to tell you that He WILL move mountains! We have needed him to do the whole financial thing..... and he has and I pray that even tho I worry about once we get in country and unforseen things happen- we all know they do and will! That He will continue to make himself known! My word of the year was Trust.

    ReplyDelete

 


  © Web Design by Poppies Blooming 2010

Back to TOP