Psalm 68:5-6

A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling.

God sets the lonely in families, he leads forth the prisoners with singing; but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land.

I am Stepanie Nance. My family adopted two little boys with Down Syndrome from Ukraine in 2010. I hope to educate and to inspire you. I hope to make you laugh and to make you cry.

Come along for the ride. It's a wild one!

Tuesday, May 11, 2010


After exchanging a few emails with the USCIS office and chatting with some friends who are experienced in international adoption, I decided that we needed to go have our fingerprints for immigration approval done today. The notices that James and I received in the mail were for June 2, but no questions were asked when we showed up today. I'm so glad that we didn't wait. Our boys have been living without a mommy and daddy for too long and I'm not about to relax and take it easy until they are home with us.

Originally we were going to try to get the prints done on Wednesday, because the USCIS person that I exchanged emails with said that Wednesday's would be the best day to come. Then I realized that Wesley was leaving today for Write His Answer, a Christian writer's conference in Estes Park, Colorado. He was just going to have to leave a couple of hours later so that we could get this done.

Just a couple of problems...if dad and I and Wesley needed to be downtown at 8am, we would have to leave the house at 7:30am. Leroy gets on the bus at 7:45am. The other kids leave at 8:15am. Chipper and Richard leave early so they would not be around to help. Wes was going with us so he would not be there to help. I was so worried about this that I could not sleep!

Well, it wasn't a fun morning. In fact, it was down right tense around here. But, everyone did get to school on time. I did find a parking place. I did find a quarter for the parking meter (that was a small miracle in itself!). We did get to the USCIS office. We did get the prints taken, even though Wes didn't get his appointment notice! Another miracle. An hour later, we were out the door. I felt like I had gone through the wringer!

Should I tell you about the rest of my day?

Next I took Ralph and Ruby to the church nursery and then drove to my mom's group end of the year brunch. Then back to the church to pick up the kids. Home to meet Leroy's bus. Leroy gets off, Ralph gets on. Then Leroy and Ruby and I head for the store.

Did I mention that today was my husband's birthday? Yep. Maybe that's why he was so bent out of shape this morning. In addition to immigration fingerprints he had to get his driver's license renewed today! I really shouldn't laugh.

Anyway, I bought him a new wedding band for his birthday. A very inexpensive titanium band. Titanium is very strong and heat resistant, just like my love. His gold band is so beat up and not even round anymore. Our gold rings will be sold to help finance the adoption.

Cake and ice cream tonight. Dad loves his new ring. Life is good.


  1. one more step closer!! hope you were able to relax for a bit at the brunch this morning. =)

  2. Awesome... in about a week or two e-mail the office to make sure that they are PROCESSING your prints. When we received an earlier date we thought it meant that our prints would be processed early but they goofed and did not start the process until the original date. So call or e-mail and ask about your file!! We are in Virginia and it is the worst state but it does not hurt to be vigilant!!

  3. I had one of those days today to, left me feeling beat up.

    you are so on top of all this...

    \that is really lovely about your rings xxx



  © Web Design by Poppies Blooming 2010

Back to TOP