Psalm 68:5-6

A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling.

God sets the lonely in families, he leads forth the prisoners with singing; but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land.

I am Stepanie Nance. My family adopted two little boys with Down Syndrome from Ukraine in 2010. I hope to educate and to inspire you. I hope to make you laugh and to make you cry.

Come along for the ride. It's a wild one!

Friday, October 7, 2011

Zhen

Zhen is a tough nut. A tough nut to crack. He prefers to keep to himself and often slips quietly off to his room to play in silence. I'll never forget the heavy silence of his orphanage. It made me want to tip-toe around the place.

Apparently he's most comfortable by himself in quiet places, which means he's really not that comfortable in this house much of the time! But that's OK, right? We don't grow when we are comfortable, do we? We need to be stretched and challenged.

Living in this family has stretched and challenged Zhen.

And I'm starting to see the fruit of those challenges.

Zhen has never really been interested in playing with other people. Alongside, sometimes. Interacting and cooperating, no. He's also never really been interested in the TV other than to irritate people by turning it off, or the volume all the way up!

We look at this kid now:


He's found his groove all of a sudden! I know, you cant' really to see his face, but this was the best I could get without interfering with the fun. (And yes, those were his glasses that he threw. They really blend in with the carpeting. Not good.)

He's coming out of his shell and starting to really enjoy his family, other people, and life in general. I hope this is a trend that continues.

2 comments:

  1. Your boys amaze me, Steph!! I wish those who run these orphanages would see the videos of all that these kids are capable of. I'm so grateful that you are giving them a second chance!!! =) I'm reading the Babyhouse 10 book right now, and it just tears me up the way these kids are treated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome, Stephanie! He looks great!

    Boy, that song brings back memories too. LOL

    ReplyDelete

 


  © Web Design by Poppies Blooming 2010

Back to TOP