Psalm 68:5-6

A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling.

God sets the lonely in families, he leads forth the prisoners with singing; but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land.

I am Stepanie Nance. My family adopted two little boys with Down Syndrome from Ukraine in 2010. I hope to educate and to inspire you. I hope to make you laugh and to make you cry.

Come along for the ride. It's a wild one!

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Ups and downs.

Our visits with the boys are pretty unpredictable. I just never know if Alec is going to be relaxed and happy or tense and hurting. This morning he was in a good mood, even though he spit up a couple of times. Tonight he was not so happy. I do a lot of walking and rocking him. He makes great eye contact with me when he's relaxed.

His head is not really this big, he's just leaning forward. Yes, unfortunately his legs are that skinny. He is able to bear some weight on them, though! :)


He crosses his pinky and ring finger! How cute is that? He does it a lot.

I bought this scarf, on clearance of course, thinking that I'd get to visit some cathedrals. But, we have not done any sightseeing to speak of. (Some places require women to cover their heads.) It makes a perfect baby sling though! We tried it out today. I'm thinking ahead about how we are going to get around in Kyiv and in the airports.

Daddy and Zhenya enjoy playing on the slide. Zhenya expects dad to lift him up to the top each time. Well, today I put my foot down. That nonsense has to stop. If he wants to go down the slide he needs to learn how to climb up. He acted like we were trying to kill him at first!! He got the hang of it after a while. Honestly, the poor kid has rubber chicken legs so this was a real workout for him.

One of the many faces of Zhenya.

This kid looks so different at times. He has a lot of personality in there.


James and I walked hand in hand with Zhenya this evening. We found that he enjoys stomping on manhole covers. So we walked and stopped at all the manhole covers and all of us stomped on them. Fun times!

8 comments:

  1. what a great use of a scarf!! I can not believe how skinny his little legs are! poor baby! any news on court??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww... still praying for you all Steph!! Your boys are just so cute, and you can see them blooming right before your eyes (& camera!). Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really dont know how you are getting through this, your faith?
    it's just too much make me want to run away and not look, but I dont......
    my heart is hurting for Alec cant wait till you get those boys homes.

    yes Zhenya sure has lots of looks, I'm sure this is all part of Gods plan for him.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is wonderful to see you and James with the boys. We think of you all often and are praying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey guys,

    Hang in there! Sorry to see Alec in that condition. It looks like things are working out with Zhenya though! I am as sure as I can be that he is loving every moment with you guys!
    Toby

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart aches to see Alec's tiny little legs! Hailee's were EXACTLY like that just two short months ago. Oh my goodness, how this little boy is going to grow once he is home. I ca hardly wait to see the transformation.

    Hang in there friend, I know that the loneliness is absolutely awful. Hang tight and know that this too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such a blessing to these sweet children and oh what a blessing they will be to you my friend !! I am going to email you...I am praying for sweet alec to heal and not hurt. poor baby.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know it is a relief that there are so many manhole covers here! It is amazing what becomes a toy when there aren't many resources. I hope to see you guys in Kiev when I get back. Maybe the 4th or 5th? Praying that God continues to encourage and strenghten you. Rest in his peace, friends. It's the only way to do it.

    ReplyDelete

 


  © Web Design by Poppies Blooming 2010

Back to TOP