Psalm 68:5-6

A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling.

God sets the lonely in families, he leads forth the prisoners with singing; but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land.

I am Stepanie Nance. My family adopted two little boys with Down Syndrome from Ukraine in 2010. I hope to educate and to inspire you. I hope to make you laugh and to make you cry.

Come along for the ride. It's a wild one!

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Smashing!!




This was a great weekend for Theo. Oh my stars! He's so fun. And every single day he gets more fun! How can it be? He started moving forward in his walker on Saturday. He wants to be a big boy. He wants to GO places!


Theo is strong enough to stand with help balancing; however, he has never indicated that he understands he needs to move his feet to go anywhere. Sometimes I will ask one of the kids to help him balance while I move each leg as if he is walking.


For Ralphie we hung him in a harness over a treadmill! Same idea. But Theo's feet always remain stuck to the ground when I'm working with him.


Then on Saturday night when I was preparing to put him in the bathtub with Zhen and Ruby, he got so excited! He started freaking out while I was removing his clothing. When I stood him up he actually started moving his feet as if he would run to get in the tub. And I do mean RUN! WoW!!


He is a HOOT in the tub. He is so talented at splashing that I'm drenched and the bathroom floor is flooded in a matter of minutes! It's just pure joy!


Today I needed to stop by the pre-school to pick up some paperwork. As I opened the door I saw my little love in the hallway...


standing in a gait trainer...


TAKING STEPS!!


Walking is not even in Theo's IEP. It has been pushed pretty far into the back of my mind. But it just goes to show the kind of healing and progress can be made by even the sickest, most neglected child. He is smashing my expectations every single day.


Which reminds me of Carrington. She's up a couple of pounds since coming home last month. Her bubbly personality is making an appearance! Her doctors want to do a few more tests before they schedule her surgery for reflux. They are also trying to coordinate things to get her poor ruined teeth taken care of at the same time.


I'll wager that Carrington will smash all of our expectations as well. In addition to her physical and emotional restoration, she is inspiring people to go beyond, to do more, pray more and love better. I hope to have some specific stories to share with you soon. And photos of course! :)



1 comment:

  1. Ahhh, way to go Theo! He makes me smile ear to ear!

    ReplyDelete

 


  © Web Design by Poppies Blooming 2010

Back to TOP